Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from November, 2017

3.0 Work in Progress 11: Bookmarks, Chrome OS, and Permissions

I recently picked up one of the new Google Pixelbooks and I will say it a pretty awesome development device.  It runs Chrome OS, Android, and Linux all at the same time and has pretty good specs (i5 cpu, 8 gb ram, 128 gb ssd) for running Android Studio.  I am able to code and deploy GMMP right on the same device which makes development really convenient when not at home.   Android apps also run in their own window which can be resized which makes UI testing on different size screens super easy.

In order to support the free form resizing of the app window, I updated the target SDK level to 27 (android 8.1).  GMMP 2.x was still on 21 (android 5.0).  The target SDK update should see some performance improvement in newer devices (although i do not know by how much).  I also added support for the android permission system they added back in 5.1.  GMMP should only ask for storage permission and possibly phone state permission (if you want to use the auto resume after a phone call finishes f…

3.0 Work in Progress 10: Multiple Artists and Genres Per Track

In the last few weeks I've been mostly doing backend work so there arent too many UI changes to show off.  The music service refactor / rewrite has caused me to rewrite a few of the other backend systems (and there will probably be a bunch more that need it to).  Since I was already making so many changes to the data access layer, I decided now would be the best time to basically clean up the whole data model and make the necessary changes to support some of the highest requested features like supporting multiple artists and multiple genres.  These changes led me to rewrite the scanner entirely (I had to do it anyway due to the data access layer changes).  Now the scanner will recognize artists and genres that are delimited by a specific character (";" by default) and set them up in the database accordingly.  Since fields with the ";" in it are a bit ugly.. i do plan on adding some functionality to replace that with "and" or "&" or reall…