Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - KitKat sdcard permission workaround and other fixes

You should now be able to delete and download album art to the external sdcard on android 4.4.  Editing tags is still not possible but at least the other functionality has been restored. (04/08/14):
-Added logging to crashlytics
-Improved formatting of lyrics which only contain the carriage return character at the end of each line
-Another attempt at fixing AVRCP 1.3 on samsung devices
-Fixed pause when changing tracks when listening via bluetooth on some samsung devices
-Fixed crash when changing tracks multiple times quickly
-Fixes for m4a RATE tag
-Fixed bug where the sleep timer would be five times longer than its supposed to be when using for a 2nd time in a single session
-Added kitkat sdcard access workaround for deleting files and saving image files to the sdcard
-Fixed context menu options for Genre -> Artist -> All Songs
-Other minor fixes
-Updated German translation
-Included GMMP version name/code in error reports

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

3 Years

It was 3 years ago today that I started working on GMMP with a challenge to myself to make a music player in a weekend:


Its pretty crazy scrolling through the posts from the last 3 year and watching the player evolve.

Anyway, I am still in maintenance mode with GMMP fixing bugs, but once I am happy with the current build I'll be switching focus to add Chromecast support

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 (03/26/14):
-Added support for the RATE tag in m4a/aac files
-Fixed honeycomb crashes
-Fixed issue where the actionbar would not show on honeycomb
-Fixed issue where active EQ preset would not save
-Fixed crash with the split view on some devices
-Fixed other various crashes
-Updated translations

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dashclock Music Extension 2.1.0

I just released a minor update to the dashclock extension adding the ability to hide or show the icon next to the dashclock entry.  Enjoy!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 (03/06/2014):
-Fixed crash playing flac files with multiple embedded album art images
-Fixed another crash when enabling the virtualizer on devices that do not support it
-Fixed some other crashes when destroying the UI
-Fixed crash in the tag editor
-Updated Japanese translation

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Based on the crash reports, I got there were no major issues with 1.5 besides a few minor features that stopped working.  I fixed the broken features that were reported and tried to get as many crashes fixed up that I could.

I will be moving into a new place this weekend so I will probably be mostly unavailable for the next week or so.

Please note that any user that purchased the unlocker through amazon needs to install the trial through amazon as well.  Amazon resigns all the apks that I upload making the incompatible with google play. (02/27/2014):
-Fixed 'Traditional Back Button' option and 'Double Back to Exit'
-The edit preset button is now enabled when the default preset is set
-Show album art is now enabled by default as a menu option in now playing
-Screen rotation will no longer reset the album art search text
-Added warning if the installed unlocker is invalid.  An outdated version or an incompatible version (amazon unlocker with google play trial) will trigger the warning.
-Updated translations
-Fixed some crashes caused by list item items not being able to be created
-Fixed crash in the preferences activity
-Fixed crash in the library views on shutdown
-Fixed crash shutting down the queue view
-Fixed crash loading the preferences on gingerbread
-Fixed crash setting/resetting the rating in now playing
-Fixed crash when enabling the virtualizer (or setting the strength) on devices that do not support it
-Fixed crash setting the total time in the queue
-Caught exception when pasting text into a text box in GMMP running a skin on a Xiaomi MI 2S
-Fixed crash when a user denies GMMP the READ_PHONE_STATE permission
-Fixed crash on shutdown on Amazon devices
-Fixed crash adjusting volume
-Fixed other various crashes
-Fixed crash in album art selector
-Fixed crash playing a song in a smart playlist
-Fixed crash showing lyrics
-Fixed crash in effects layout
-Fixed crash closing scanner activity

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Galaxy S4 no sound issue

Samsung's 4.3 update for the S4 (and potentially some other samsung devices) has caused some issues with playback, one being no sound when listening to music.  I have witnessed this myself if a certain combination of settings are used.

Potential Fixes

  1. Disable bass boost and the virtualizer.  These features are audio effects that are built into the android operating system.  GMMP simply turns them on/off and sets the strength.  After the 4.3 update, these effects can potentially not work well with GMMP
  2. Be sure the GMMP eq is turned on.  Just like the bass boost and virtualizer, the android EQ can cause conflicts with playback.  Be sure the GMMP eq is enabled in the preferences (prefs -> audio -> equalizer -> use GMMP EQ)
  3. Try turning off external dsps such as DspManager.  Some of these external dsps use the same built in android effects that cause conflicts with playback.  You can also turn off external dsps in the gmmp settings (prefs -> audio -> equalizer -> use external dsp)